There are quite a few reasons that summer is the perfect time to start orthodontic treatment for your child.
Okay, so what are the good reasons that summer is the perfect time to start?
- Schedule – Typically, there is more free time (at least for your kids) during summer. This gives you more flexibility to go to follow-up appointments without having to have them miss school.
- Routine – When you first get braces, there’s a whole new morning routine. You need to get used to a more involved process of brushing your teeth and flossing. Starting them during the summer lets your kids get used to this new routine without having to be stressed about making it to school on time.
- Adjustment – When you get new braces there is a brief adjustment period you’ll go through. During that adjustment period, you may be uncomfortable, talk funny, and even experience some discomfort. Summer gives you plenty of time to relax and get used to them.
So, of course there are a lot of foods that need to be avoided when you have braces, but instead of focusing on that, here are some amazing summertime foods that you can enjoy.
Those are just a few great options that you can easily enjoy with braces. My favorite food when I had my braces adjusted as a kid was spaghetti. If I had an orthodontic appointment, that meant spaghetti night. Other summer classics that are OK for braces include watermelon, cantaloupe, salads, Jell-O, and so many more.
North Carolina Fun
Now that we’ve talked about braces, let’s talk about something more exciting. Here are some amazing summer activities in North Carolina for you to try out, regardless of braces:
- Camping – North Carolina is home to over 40 state parks and countless beautiful camping spots. You can choose from beautiful forests or make your way to the 320-mile coast for a sweet spot.
- Ziplining – There are several locations right here in central NC that offer ziplining, you’ll certainly have a blast swinging through the trees like Spider-Man… Okay maybe not quite like Spider-Man, but still, awesome.
- Fishing – North Carolina has some of the best fishing in America, so don’t shortchange yourself by not giving this a shot!
- Greensboro Science Center – Experience the wonders of an aquarium, science museum, zoological park, and immersive 3D theater all in one place! See sharks, penguins, otters, stingrays, a fishing cat and other amazing animals from around the world. Get eye-to-eye with tigers, meerkats, gibbons, lemurs and other unique animals in the Animal Discovery Zoo. Walk among dinosaurs in Prehistoric Passages, experience extreme weather, and have fun in SciPlay Bay in the Museum. Watch amazing 3-D shows that make science come alive in the OmniSphere Theater.
- Beaches – There are some of the best beaches on the East Coast here. Sometimes they can be a bit crowded with tourists, but you can check out these lesser-known spots
Braces aren’t always fun, but summer should be! If you have any questions or if you’re not sure that braces are the right choice, contact us at our Greensboro or Randleman offices so we can help you out.
Dr. Tripp Cobb